When we had all the glass and mat board at home, we did a match up exercise to make sure every frame had mat board and glass that fitted. That was when we discovered that 7 mat boards had been cut wrongly and 3 glass sheets were too long. Back we went to the frame shop and the glazier. Both businesses were very good. They happily replaced the faulty material and did a few extra jobs free of charge. Still the delays were raising stress levels somewhat.
The staining process took some time to get going. We started using some old stains we had used before, but these were not dark enough. We bought some black stain to mix up our own colour and started experimenting on off-cuts. Eventually we hit on a mix that seemed to work well on the various timbers used for the frames. Whilst Sally cut the foam board backing that held the mat board in place we did the final sanding and staining of each frame.
Our lounge room was starting to resemble a small factory with piles of empty frames and glass sheets, folders of photos, piles of mat board and tools and equipment spread around. The next tasks were cleaning the glass (removing every single fingerprint and mark), attaching the photos to the mat board, fitting them into the frames with the foam backing board and screwing on the turnbuckles which held everything in place. We soon learned that black mat was very “unforgiving” in that it immediately showed up the tiniest mark or stray piece of sawdust. Each frame had to be meticulously vacuumed and checked.
The final step was to transport the 37 works over our rough dirt road to the highway and then to Yering Station. Unlike our usual driving manner we took this trip with great care at every pothole to limit the chance of a potential disaster. We arrived at the gallery with everything intact and helped Savaad (the gallery manager) sort out and hang the work. Everything was now ready for the official opening on Friday.
|All our family made it to the exhibition|